Friday 10 March 2017

Rewindable learning

Lucy and I have been thinking about how we can model this for teachers, in a way that makes life easier for us.
Screencastify has been a godsend (Thank you, Madeline, for showing us how to set this up to save directly to Google Drive!).
This is making life a lot easier in terms of the little things that could be confusing in written or verbal form.

This concept will be just as useful for teachers as students.

I have been using rewindable learning with my NetNZ Art History class too.
It has been really powerful for keeping students connected when they've been unable to attend class (and students have appreciated the effort). I have had feedback from other students about appreciating being able to go back and replay the discussion we've had as a class.


3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of recording a discussion in class, but still struggling with the perfectionist side of me. I've only done a couple of rewindable sessions for the juniors so far. The staff ones have been done a couple of times to make sure they actually work. Trying to keep up with you all the time, its great to work with someone who challenges me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My online class has a Google hangout once a week. Missing a hangout is the equivalent to missing a week of classes.

    So I need to go for what will be most practical and useful.

    There were a few things to consider though. I needed to get the group to agree to and buy into being recorded (as discussion would die otherwise, if they were feeling uncomfortable about it.

    Also, they attend a variety of different schools which have varied (from school to school) privacy and publicity policies. So our screencastify clips go onto our private community, as apposed to a public learning site..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could definitely take something from this! I've also had drama with Google Hangouts and ScreenCastify, working out the best angle as not to change the lesson from English to Biology! Hope you can provide some valuable tips and tricks on combating this. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete