Friday 17 March 2017

Rewindable learning and high needs students

This week I shared with Sue (my fabulous teacher aide) the concept of rewindable learning and how to work the Screencastify extension on her laptop.

She hooked into it so incredibly quickly and has been making rewindable learning moments all week for our class site with our Te Whare Atawhai students.

It has been really lovely being able to watch all of the wee teachable moments that crop up during demonstrations and conversions. I have been learning heaps from this about how to better support my special needs students.

The students have been fascinated with being able to watch themselves back on the screen.
While the novelty will fade, this will continue to be really powerful for their learning.
What may take a mainstream student 1 or 2 goes to master, may take a special needs student many many attempts. With rewindable learning they are able to watch it back as many times as they like.

Sue has also talked to me about how amazing she thinks this will be for her students. Not only will it be great for their mastery of skills and ideas, it also will provide amazing evidence for their SPEC portfolios.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, great to see that students are finding this useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, Philippa. I used Screencastify to collect evidence for SPEC folders last year, but I had never thought about the role of playing the rewindable learning clips many more times for learners who need significantly more repetition and practice. I'm going to try this for one of my ORS students this week.

    ReplyDelete